Saturday, May 15, 2010

What is Happening to the Web?

When did it get so nasty?

I know that being anonymous allows people to pretend to be someone they are not, or to show their true colours without fear of presonal reprisal, but seriously!  This week saw a major shitstorm on one blog I used to read and comment on regularly - I missed it, saw the aftermath, and really, I don't quite know what to say.  Aside from WTF?!

I have been a member of several online communities down the years - one I have been a member of for more than 10 years, but in the past 18 months, I have left 2 communities, partly due to my own personal issues needing my focus, and partly due to the fact that the levels of nastiness and crap got to the point where it was just not worth the effort to wade through it to get to the good stuff.  Actually, mainly due to that.

Once, I went to these places for a break, to escape my day-to-day existence, and get away from the bullshit that was bringing me down.  And then, the bullshit mutated and invaded my havens.  I actually started to feel worse after a visit.  Eventually, I pulled the plug.

I miss some of the people I met there, but over all, I feel good about my decision.  Looking back, I realise that a lot of the problem, for me anyway, was that it was becoming like high school - the cool kids targetting the uncool kids, teachers (admins) turning a blind eye to the bullying because they want the kids to think they are cool, and the rest of the school wandering around aimlessly, trying to avoid becoming targets of the 'in' crowd.  I left high school a long time ago, I don't miss it, and I sure as Hell do not want to go back.

Maybe that is what is wrong with not just the Web, but the world - we are devolving back to high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment