Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Eat Love Pray - the movie

I saw this last night, and, as much as I expected not to be impressed, I was not expecting the reaction I had to it.

I have never read the book, and watched the movie because it was the only thing going at the time I could get out the door in peace.

What I expected was a bunch of self-indulgent, self-important twaddle, and that is exactly what I got.  What I didn't expect was my reaction to the twaddle, which is this:

Mindless crap.  A Shirley Valentine for the next generation - woman runs away from home to 'find herself' and in the process finds true love and happiness.  She doesn't need a man to be happy and complete, oh hang on, yes she does.

This movie really does promote the importance of self above all else.  Seriously.  That is what it is about.  Self, and how to get your own way, at all times, in all things, while claiming to be on a journey of self-discovery.

I would love to be able to drop everything and wander the world for 12 months, but I have responsibilities - to myself as well as others.  To expect that popping off to an exotic location or 3 is going to help me 'find' myself is ridiculous - the me I would find there would never fit into the world in which I exist.

Maybe I am harsh, maybe I am just old school when it comes to things like this.  I don't know.  What I do know is that the balance we need to survive in the modern world is not something we will find in places where we don't exist, we need to find it within ourselves, in our own worlds. And that takes hard work, and time.  Just like it did for previous generations.  They did it, so can we.

No comments:

Post a Comment