Friday, December 17, 2010

It's almost 'that' time of year again.....

The time when we all make promises we hope to keep, even though we know it's not likely to happen.

One of the most common is 'This year I will lose weight, and keep it off'.  We are assisted in our pursuit of weight loss by an endless parade of wonder chemicals, diet plans, exercise plans, TV shows, and of course, surgery.

While a bit of extra assistance is always handy to shift those first few stubborn kilos, the only thing that is really required is motivation, determination, and the willpower to change.  And actual support from those close to you.

You need motivation to get started, determination to stick it out on the tough days, and willpower not to succumb to old habits too often.  But the single most important thing is a great support network.

No-one is going to succeed in a healthy eating/weightloss plan if they are eating properly prepared, nutritious food, and living with someone who routinely chomps into a pack of Tim Tams, biscuits, chips and fizzy in front of them.  The cravings will drive them to take a running leap off the good health wagon.

This is the nature of unhealthy habits, they are insidious, and trigger monster cravings.  I haven't eaten KFC in over 20 years, and yet the smell of it will sometimes see me craving food.  Ditto HJ or McD's burgers, haven't ever been a fan, but if someone sits and eats one in front of me, all I want to do is eat. Not necessarily the bad stuff, but food, of any kind.

So, if one of your resolutions is going to be to shrink your girth, make sure everyone in your household is on board.  They don't have to not eat crap, just not in front of you.  If they plan a pizza night, warn you first.  If they order on a whim, you are going to have to wear it (that's willpower).

A little bit of junk isn't going to hurt.  Just watch your portions (of everything you eat), and the regularity of indulgence.  And move!

I have been on a super-strict eating plan (I am meant to have no dairy, no alcohol, no sugar, no fatty/greasy foods, no salt and no caffeine, and as few processed foods as possible) for 18 months now, and while I no longer feel the overwhelming need to eat chocolate or salt and vinegar chips as often as I used to, there are still days where the cravings are so strong, they physically hurt.  I allow myself a weekly indulgence - a skinny late, and a florentine (or a slice of savoury toast).  And I cut back my portions that evening, and the following day.  I have lost 18 kilos in 18 months, and have never felt better.  My weightloss has been helped of late by the fact that my husband has also had to change his eating habits, so the cravings have become less - as I said, seeing someone eating Tim Tams, corn chips,savoury biscuits, and HJ's on a regular basis, while sitting next to you, does NOT make craving control any easier.

So there IS hope - you just have to be strict with yourself, and those around you.  The best advice I can offer is remove 1 thing at a time - reduce, then quit.  Don't go the whole hog all at once. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment