Friday, February 25, 2011

Decorum. Please!

Is it just me, or are people becoming more - in-everyone's-face with their shows of affection?

You know what's really scary? I'm not talking about people I can see in the actual, real world! I'm talking about Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace.  What the Hell is going on?!  There's enough mushy drivel on these sites to make Cupid puke - and that's saying something!

It's not just kids either, I have had to block a 44-year-old's posts from appearing on my FB wall, because it's all 'I can't wait to hold you in my arms again, I love you sooooo much. I can't believe I let you go...' Which is fine, in its place.  Just don't make me suffer through it with you, more than 10 times a day, every day. Thank you.

I am not totally anti 'I love you' posts on social media sites - I know a couple who 'met' online, then in real life, and who now are happily living together.*  They often post "I love you' or 'I miss you' to each other.  But that's it.  The personal stuff, they keep personal.  And so, those wee messages of love make me smile.  Because they are just that - wee messages.

I get the same lovely feeling when I see those posts as I do when I see the (local and lovely) old couple sharing a motorised wheelchair/scooter thingy when I am out walking.  They are together, and existing happily in each other's space, with no need to shove their togetherness, and need of or desire for each other, in everyone's faces. It is what it is, and they are happy with it.

So, for the - PDA-averse - amongst us, please dial it back a little.  Keep things hot and heavy by all means; just keep them private.  There's a lot to be said for keeping people guessing about what you are up to.

* I think this is one of those Meant To Be things. I hope so.  The modern world is lacking in Meant To Be..........

1 comment:

  1. I refuse to open Facebook/Twitter account partly because I don't want to be flooded with unnecessary things, which your example clearly show that TMI is just it: TOO much!

    ReplyDelete