Saturday, February 26, 2011

I am a scholar. Not.

I think I have mentioned here before that I am at university.  Studying to gain my Bachelor of Regional Resource Management, with Majors in Regional Science and Natural Resource Management, and a Minor in Understanding Communities.

I always wanted to go to Uni - it sounded cool - like a worthwhile achievement. And now I am there.  Doing ok. Except for the scholarly part.  There I fall over badly.

I don't use the appropriate language.  I don't understand half of the words I am meant to use, so I avoid them.  I grasp the concepts fine, but the big words and convoluted language throw me for a major loop.  I just cannot get my head around it.

Don't get me wrong, I can use 100 words to say what could be said in 20 just fine.  I do it all the time. But I can't use words I don't have any understanding of.  If I *think* I understand what they mean, I'll use them.  If I am wrong in my understanding, I learn something. But having NO GRASP at all on a word, I won't use it.

So, I use plain Australian English. Or my own version thereof. I lose some marks, but I can live with that.

I am very fortunate that the lecturers are aware of the fact that I struggle with the language.  They generally apply the theory that if we can grasp the concepts, and explain them somehow, they are doing their job.  Generally. The Faculty of Arts is not so easy to talk to (no matter what the issue is), but IMAS, IASOS, and IRD are great.

I will get there in the end.  I will continue to call a spade a spade, and explain things in a way that I understand. Because I am damn sure I am not the only one out there who struggles with academia and it's language.

No comments:

Post a Comment