Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Living History


How cool is this picture?  I saw it the other day on my way to an appointment, and had to take a picture of it.  I often walk past the house in question, and have wondered many times what on Earth are they doing?!  Well, now I know.  I can't wait to see the end result.

I love that this was put up to emphasise the history of the house.  Tasmania is full of historical buildings, but those which attract attention are often those which were convict built.  Don't get me wrong, I find those both amazing, and heartbreakingly sad.  But I think that an acknowledgment of an 'ordinary' building is a great step forward in the appreciation of our history.


Another fine example of our history - bricks laid in the footpath at Campbell Town, listing the convicts who resided in the area - the ship they came on, the crime they were transported for, length of sentence and what they did after arrival.

There are so many places here where history is just around the corner, but these are 2 great examples of how it can be made more readily accessible to everyone.  And I think they are fabulous. And fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment